Sunday, April 22, 2007

In Loving Memory



William Oliver May was taken to be with the Lord yesterday. He was Stephen's Papa, and so much more. He was my grandfather too. I grew up never knowing my biological grandfathers. When I was a little girl I wanted a grandfather so much, that one of the elders in our church kindly offered to be my surrogate grandfather and even said I could call him grandfather. Kind as his offer was, it just wasn't the same. Then, there was Bill.

I first met Bill as Stephen's girlfriend, while visiting him in Sarasota. He gave me a big hug and a kiss. I was instantly attached. Later, as Stephen and I struggled through our first year of marriage, he and Elsie opened their home to us on the weekends and we found ourselves there relaxing around the pool, sleeping in, visiting the Greek district and the Sponge Docks. On each of this visits I was always greeted with the same outpouring of love. "Well Helloooooo!!!" followed by that lovely whiskery kiss and a hug. Sometimes he would say "There she is!!" Bill and Elsie never made me feel like a visitor or an in-law. Secretly, I came to think of Bill as my Papa too, that longing my heart had felt for so many years was fully satisfied in those precious times spent with him. I even loved waking up in the wee hours to the sound of Bill snoring away in his chair downstairs. I loved him so much that I am not sure that I am fully able to describe how much I will miss him.

I am thankful that our Lord is a merciful, faithful, and loving God. I am thankful for Bill's peaceful passing and the knowledge that this sweet man is resting with his Heavenly Father. I am thankful for having known him and eternally thankful for the love he shared with me. I cherish every memory of my secret Papa.

5 comments:

jane. said...

* thinking of you.

Ellen said...

I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for your family. I know I miss my Paw-paw and my Uncle Richard. I still remember how he always said, "Come and see me," when I was leaving. It's nice to be loved by your grandpa.

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys! I heard about your grandfather thru my mom on the day he passed. My prayers are with you... I recentlly lost my grandpa last month as well. I know how it feels. I love you guys... love, Melissa and family!

Michelle D said...

He looks and sounds like a sweet, wonderful Papa. Hugs to you both.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with both of you and with Stephen's family. What a sweet memory. Love you, Mom & Dad