Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Maine Part One: Oliver's Story



Morning in Maine. The cool salty breeze tousled the fur on Oliver's muzzle as he stood watching for the lobster boats to return to shore. "I'm sure I heard a boat horn out there." he thought.


Oliver trotted to another of the large boulders in front of the house he and his people were staying at for the week. He stretched and he strained but he still could not see the boat he was sure he could hear. He went to speak to Sarah about it.



"Good morning, Sarah! Do you think Stephen would take me out on the kayak today? I can hear the boat out there but I can't see it from this vantage point." Oliver got the feeling Sarah didn't understand his request...she kept clicking at him with this silver object.



Stephen did understand what Oliver was asking, however, and soon the two were paddling along the shore in the red kayak..well Stephen paddled while Oliver scanned the horizon for the missing boat. Oliver made sure to stash a fetching stick in the bottom of the boat ...just in case.



They arrived at a small cove and Stephen turned the boat for shore. Oliver had not heard the horn of the boat in some time now and was beginning to think it had arrived safely at the Stonington harbor. He took a deep gulp of the fresh air and felt the warm sun on his back. Stephen was on the shore calling for him. This was it! He grabbed his stick and hurried over to play fetch on the sand. He had a feeling this was going to be his favorite day in Maine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell it again. Thanks for this story, Sarah.
I miss you three.
I will continue to pray for things working out concerning the theft. I remember that heart sick feeling when I lost all my special things from my Nana. I still miss them even if they are just things, they meant something to me.
Love you, Mary