Saturday, June 23, 2007

Thievin'


(Photo Explanation: This was taken at the coy pond in the Japanese garden at Brooklyn Botanic Gardens.. see that little guy in the middle? That's what I feel like.. gulping for metaphorical air)


So, we spent the last week in Maine on Deer Isle with Mary and Larry. It was wonderful. I will write all about it as soon as those wonderful feelings return to me.
When we got home this afternoon, after a 9 hour drive, we found the door to our apartment unlocked. Our landlord was having the tile in our bathroom fixed while we were away.. so we thought.. odd but .. maybe he forgot to lock up. Inside everything looked ok.... bathroom was actually repaired (SHOCKED) and he even had them fix the hole in our kitchen floor (NICE!).. I walk to the living room and that's when I saw it.. my jewelry box was not closed properly. Still optimistic I huffed and started looking through my jewelry boxes... sure enough.. the diamond earrings my mom passed down to me.. the ones my dad bought for her 15 years ago.... were gone. So was my iPod (Pea was his name...). DAMN IT!!!!! I KNEW I should have hidden all my valuable stuff when we left the house.. but I am always paranoid like that and I knew that our landlord would be there with the guys while they made repairs (yeah right..what a liar). So I left everything where it was... now I am out the iPod that Stephen surprised me with a few years back .. the first expensive gift he ever bought me.. and a pair of priceless earrings...
We filed a report with the police .. and called Paul the landlord.... he was shocked and is looking into it.. but did say that he would pay for whatever was lost. We just have to let him know how much it was worth.
I want to get over this and just be all.. "oh well! I guess that guy needed the $50 those earrings might bring him at a pawn shop more than I did!".. but I can't be since I am currently all.."What the heck was I thinking?!?! How could I have just trusted Paul like that?!! I ALWAYS lock my stuff up!!!!!! Now I have lost the first family heirloom entrusted to me.." You get the picture.
Anyway...Stephen is in Long Island City at an opening that he has some work in tonight. Oli and I are here cleaning the mess they thievin' fix-it guys left behind... trying to hold onto the salt air that I was breathing all week..the smell of the evergreens...trying.. trying..

Sarasota Update: Still no word. Nathan is doing is best to get his situation worked out so we can move on ours. Still feels like its a go.. but we are really praying that we hear something definite before the end of the month. Our buddy Shawn called to say he is taking on some adjunct classes at Ringling this coming year (WOO HOO!!!!) which is AWESOME! So.. anyway.. still waiting for our good news..

Car Update: My sweet Daddy found us a car !!! He bought it for $300 and is fixing it up and donating to our cause :) Its an 87 Honda Accord that happens to be a straight drive. Hmm.. yes I do in fact know how to drive a stick shift (evening lessons from the Oldham days).. not super good at it but I am ready and willing to become an expert for a free car!!!! So, car need has been solved for the moment - check!

2 comments:

kateoelschlager@gmail.com said...

o man Sarah i cant believe it!!! i look forward to hearing about Maine--but soooo sorry to hear about ya'lls apt!!!love you two-katie

Ellen said...

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how that would feel.