Saturday, November 03, 2007

Saturday

I tried to load pictures just now but after the 3rd attempt I gave up. Blogger must be having issues this morning. Or maybe it's my worn out iMac. Either way, I will try to put them on later today.

Today is cold and windy outside, the perfect day to spend inside the Met or the Natural History Museum. We are doing some housework this morning and then we may head to one of those places. Oliver is a warm ball in my lap. This is his morning nap time and he tries to soak in as much lap time as he can when one of us is sitting down.

I bought a new address book this week. It is really neat. Each letter is a different typeset from the past 200 years and it has the entire alphabet (in that particular historical font) engraved on the divider page for each letter. We have had our current address book for the past 5 (almost 6) years. Bought it at Target with wedding present credit. It is looking pretty ratty.
As I brought my purchase to the cashier in Kate's Paperie, she remarked at how cool the address book was. "I don't even own an address book so I couldn't even justify buying it!" I was a bit taken aback by her comment and stammered something about being my being old fashioned. As I left it hit me. That must be why they had such a poor selection of address books. Does no one use an address book anymore? Do people really keep all their contact information on a computer or cell phone? Surely not. When I got back to work I asked some co-workers if they had an address book and they all said no. ?!?!?!?!? Seriously?? I guess I really am old fashioned. I love having all the addresses of my friends and family in a comforting little spiral bound book. When I see it on the shelf it makes me want to write a letter. A real letter not an email. Maybe my thing for address books is linked to my love of letter writing. Maybe it is evidence of my distrust for new technology. What do people do when their computer crashes and they lose all their contacts ? Start fresh? No thank you! Am I the only one who keeps their loved one's info in hard copy? Have address books gone the way of telephone dialers and become something for the eccentric and eclectic ? If so, that makes me sad. In this age when some prefer to send a text message than speak directly to someone, I think the address book may be an example of the last vestige of person to person communication. Surely someone else still keeps theirs ? Is it just New York...?

Moving on, tomorrow is the NEW YORK CITY MARATHON !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last year I think I slept through it or had a migraine or something. This year Stephen and I are cheering on two of my work friends, Gina and Mike (MKD under my links on the right). They have both been training hard and are tapered and ready to run the heck out of this thing!!! The race runs right down 4th Avenue at the end of our block. We even have team t-shirts (from Gina) and we will be cheering for them here in Brooklyn before racing to Manhattan to meet some other cheering section members and cheer at 61st and 1st. It makes watching the race so much more exciting when you are cheering with a purpose. I will be sure to take lots of pictures.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

No, it's not just you. I have an address book of sorts. It would freak me out to only have contact info an a computer that could crash at any time. But I use a card file system, since the people in my life change addresses so much. Then, when a card is outdated, you throw it out and put all the info on a new index card and refile. =)

Anonymous said...

I have an address book too. Of course the other day I went to look up an address and forgot the persons last name. Scary, huh! Especially that this is your mother in law and you may have to take care of me someday!

Michael Paul said...

I just happened to read the first sentence of this post and have a few tips for you. If you rename the picture files so that they only have lower case letters, no spaces, underscores, periods, etc., that sometimes helps.

Also, if the pictures are coming from your camera, they may too big. Open them in iphoto then choose file->export. Use the "scale image no larger than" option then set the width to like 400-800. Export it to your picture folder. Then try uploading it to blogger.

If that does not work, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Michelle D said...

I don't trust computers either and I love having appointment books and address books. I need to seriously update mine though! I want to see a picture of yours! I think all my sisters have address books too and my Mom's...my Mom's is famous. It is so packed out and has dozens of addresses scratched out with the new ones written in. I would say she needs a new one but who would want the job of transferring her bulk? Not me:)