Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Frankie Doodle Dan-dette















You were right, Great Grammy Elsie! She does look just like a little baby doll in this sweet outfit you sent us.

And Great Grandmother Angie, this "honey bee dress" is Margot's absolute favorite.

If only my entire day were going to be as peaceful and precious as these few moments were!!! We spent upwards of 2 1/2 hours "putting the girls to bed" last night. Sigh. We absolutely REFUSE to let these girls beat us. More importantly we absolutely refuse to let the girls' grow up without knowing their limits. It's so difficult setting limits. You get so tired of enforcing them. You feel like a super hero when they are honored without a reminder from you. The girls eat their food at each meal.. our bathrooms have gone from having "Froggy Potties" and potty seats to just having potty seats with stools to having just stools for the big potty to just being regular old bathrooms again.. with stools for washing hands. The seasons have changed from fighting over food and crying at night about potty training frustrations to enjoyable meals (most of the time) to being able to feed them whatever we want and go anywhere and everywhere in our big girl panties. We have been fighting this bedtime battle since we started potty training in December of last year.. our resolve has been strong and weak. This week and last it has been strong.. just please pray for us if you think of us around 7pm in the evening. It is un-stinkin' believable how stubborn these two are. Last night we just had to laugh.. for the first hour at least.. then fatigue and heart break got to us a little. It's not easy listening to your children scream for you over and over.. and take advantage of your kindnesses. As in, you feel sorry for them as you are putting them back in bed for the 67th time and take a few extra moments to tickle their backs or snuggle them close before leaving the room.. only to have them act like they have fallen asleep in comfort.. then jump right back out of bed screaming the moment they lose sight of you. I believe this will pass.. just like all our other struggles .. it has too right?! I keep saying that to myself and this week at least, I believe it. I shudder to think what sort of battles await us in the future. I did have a flash of the Lord's comfort last night though. A picture of Ada (who was the last holdout last night) being an absolute crusader for Christ in an oppressed country, refusing to budge as naysayers tried to chase her away from a group of people she was trying to help.. a group of people who needed her. Who wanted her there. Who were afraid of the people trying to make her leave. Ada was not afraid. Ada was sure. Steadfast. Stubborn.

As a Christian parent it is my greatest fear that my children would turn from the faith that has been so central in my life. At the same time, I know I don't want them to accept my faith just because they are my children.. I want them to find it and experience it for themselves. So I pray that these stubborn little hearts would come to know Jesus in a personal way some day, and be stubbornly for Him. And right now.. I pray that Jesus would help them sleep!!!!

This post was more random that I meant it to be. Oh well.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Love random, thanks Sarah! Your honest remarks remind me of a cool quote from a character in the novel -Peace Like a River. "Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy."

Tracy said...

Hannah was my stubborn child..still is in quiet sorda way. There were days when I cried because I didn't "understand" her. But I held fast to the limits and love. She has grown into a precious wonderful young woman who's "stubborness" is definitely evident in her love for the Lord. These times will pass, and trust me,as I was once told, you will be threatening them to get out of the bed!!!! Hang in there..you guys are wonderful parents. I will say again, what I once said I never would... "you will miss these days.."

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Ah-- bedtime. And all the stories you read to them. It would put me to sleep as I read instead of them. As Tracy said, these times will pass but when?
I loved the pics of your baby doll. She is so beautiful. Love, G-Grandma

Helene said...

Oh gosh, the bedtime battles are outrageous, aren't they? Mine are constantly fighting with me and stalling...their thirsty, they need to pee one last time, their afraid of the monster in the moon...whatever they can think of to stay up later. And then they're SO tired and cranky in the morning, which you'd think they'd be able to put 2 and 2 together that if they go to bed on time, they'll wake up well rested.

But then again, they are only children and I guess that might be too much to ask.

Love the pics!!! Esp that last one!!