Thursday, December 08, 2011

Christmas Cookies



When I was little, my Nanny was the best cook in my world. Everything tasted better at her house. Green beans, corn, sweet pickles, biscuits, cakes and cookies. Everything was made from scratch and canned in glass Ball jars on shelves in the pump house. Of course the baked good weren't canned but they sure were made from scratch. I fancied myself a connoisseur of Nanny's cookies, until once during the holiday season when she had one in her cookie jar that I had never tasted before. It was a fruit cake cookie. I had one then and never saw them again. I never stopped thinking about those cookies because I just couldn't imagine why she would have them around all the time. Anyway, Aunt Margie was kind enough to send me a sampling of Nanny's Christmas cookie recipes and today I made my first batch of Fruit Cake Cookies. Cutting all that candied fruit is a labor of love let me tell you. That stuff is very gooey. I have wanted to make Christmas Cookies as a family tradition ever since the big girls were born and every year I have failed to do so. This year I decided that I would make one kind and if I only made that one batch it would be a good start and I would be ok with that. Mission accomplished.


Can I just say that when I saw those abandoned kitchen chairs on the side of the road.. this is what I envisioned ? Giddy does not describe my mood from behind the camera. 





It was a very good afternoon.

3 comments:

Michael Paul said...

Does that mean that you're eating dairy again? Cookies just aren't the same without butter.

Sarah said...

Nope! :) It means I am using butter flavored (shutter!) shortening. The recipe called for shortening anyway so.. they tasted really good. I also used rice milk with a little vinegar instead of the buttermilk. They were actually really really good :)

Mary said...

Love, love, love!