Thursday, December 14, 2006

Mrs. Stephen goes to Washington



I went to DC last weekend to see my best friend Ellen. You guys already know who she is and what she means to me (see "Ellenbogan") so I will assume everyone one knows she is like my sister and that she is expecting her first little boy, Seth, in a few weeks (WOW .. it really is only a few weeks away!!!!). So I will dispense with the sentimental words and tell you what I saw and learned. Ellen's husband is a clerk to one of the supreme court justices ( I could tell you who but then the US Marshals would be forced to take me out ). Anyway.. he was working on Saturday (of course) and he and Ellen took me around on a behind the scenes tour.



Here are the points I found most interesting:

1) The supreme court was built in 1935 (interesting because I actually still remember the date)

2) The supreme court justices all have fireplaces in their offices - the original purpose of this was for destroying confidential documents

3) Each case that is heard by the court lasts only 60 minutes - each side gets 30 minutes to argue their side of the case. In this short amount of time the attorneys may field as many as 60 questions from the justices!!

4) Standing at the podium before the empty chairs that the justices would occupy during a hearing - frighteningly stoic and scary even when the seats are empty.



This is a street right behind the court.. these people lives steps away from some of the most powerful decision makers in our nation .. "A" street.. but take heed.. there is NO sign at the interesection ;)



This is a house for rent on A Street. It looks adorable right? Would LOVE to live there..



Here's how much it would be to live there.. so.. yeah.. we put our dreams away :)



The Supreme Court Christmas Tree.. in the mid-decorate..



The Marble Staircase that has no grout but is held up purely by the weight of the actual stairs.



THE hot seat!!!



The library.. reminds me of the New York public library.. but then all regal libraries look alike right?


I really had an awesome time.. I have never thought of visiting the Supreme Court but I am glad I had this opportunity... Soon Seth will arrive and Anne and I will get to figure out how to get the stroller to the court to have lunch with his Daddy... all things change and life moves forward .. and I am starting to not make sense so I am going to bed... I had an amazing time guys.. thanks so much for having me.. I thought about our judicial process all the way home.. it was so great to remember that sense of respect for this country and its customs that I used to have in college... somehow makes me feel more secure.. what makes me even more secure is knowing that people like you, David, are helping to draft the opinions that shape our country.. that is a good feeling.

No comments: