Saturday, December 16, 2006

protest, demonstration and racism



I was witness to something today that I never thought I would see in person. Some of you who do not live in this area may not have heard about what happened in Queens a few weeks back. A young man was shot by police 50 times while coming out of a bar in Queens with some friends.. the night before his wedding. He was black. Apparently, the cops and the black community are particularly at odds in the boroughs. I am not going to even try to be eloquent about this or even think about what I am saying because the whole situation is fast becoming a fire storm.

First of all.. the cops would not say that what that cop did was WRONG - MURDER- a CRIME. That cop is a KILLER. It takes ONE bullet to kill someone.. maybe 2 maybe even 3 .. 50 bullets is an excessive amount no matter who you are what you do where you live.. a firing squad uses less than that. This cop actually had to stop and RE-LOAD his gun.. and CONTINUE firing. The least they could have done was come out and say that what that copper did was wrong and that he was a murder who was going to be tried like anyone else who had done something like that.. suspended fired.. anything.

So you conservatives out there are saying.. hang on.. what was the other side of the story.. I don't get it there must have been a reason this guy was blasted like that.. well that's what the rest of us would like to know as well. It took the police department almost a week to come up with a story about what happened that night.. then after they came up with that one.. they altered it to add a 4th person that "might have had a gun".. pardon me but.. what the _____ kind of story is that!?!?? I am not usually politically active.. I usually say "that is just terrible" to the sad police shooting stories you see on the news.. but this time.. all I could think was.. ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS??! they shoot a young man... they MURDER this guy.. BRUTALLY.. and then they can't even tell the rest of the world WHAT HAPPENED to provoke it?!?! have police relations gotten that BAD??

Today I was walking to a shoe store on 5th Avenue and I turned the corner to find cops everywhere and barricades all along the length of 5th. I asked the guy in Journeys if there was some sort of parade going on.. he said "F___ no! Its not a f____ parade.. its a f___ protest!!" The New Black Panthers and the NAACP had organized protest marches in all of the boroughs and Manhattan was the final march.. and it was just about to start.. there were very few spectators standing by the barricades, plenty of people pushing along the sidewalk with their shopping bags.. I stood right at the curb by the metal bars blocking my way into the street. There were rows of demonstrators blocking the street at various increments .. then it started. The NYPD leading the way with locked arms setting the pace for the demonstrators. They were followed by a group of demonstrators locking arms and chanting " 1, 2, 3, 4...." they were counting the shots that killed Sean Bell. Some shouted for those of us watching to join them.. some called out the theme of the protest " shopping for justice!!!"... then there were others. Angry,hurt, people. I was shouted at and called a "white devil" and a "cracker!!!" " You call yourself a Christian?!?! You are not a Christian.. you are a white devil you m__f__ cracker!!" "Your day will come Crackers".." today we march in peace.. tomorrow this will change."

I stood there shaking.. with fear.. with anger. I tried to take pictures and finally gave up trying to capture the sea of people passing me..so I only got shots in the begining before the streets where crammed with demonstrators.. my hands were shaking and I couldn't stop crying. I was so angry at the NYPD for not saying they were wrong. I was angry at the people who thought I didn't care about this murder, just because I am white. Angry that I would not get the chance to tell them I agreed with them and that I think the NYPD is totally wrong. But all they could see was my skin and the shouts of "black power" seemed to sum up the mood. They did not care that I was on their side. I forced myself to stand there as long as I could.. to witness this event that should never have been necessary. I stood there to attempt to support their cause.. I did support their cause.. I do.. but for some I will never be anything to them but white. For the others who would allow me to state my opinion on the matter, if given the chance, I have expressed it.

Pray for New York City people. What has happened here and what is happening here is frightening for more reasons than I care to type out.




my shaky hands ...

No comments: