Friday, October 12, 2007

For crying out loud...



...Gore ..Nobel Peace Prize?!?!! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Ann Coulter (sp?) jamming her foot in her mouth yet again ?!?! Sigh. Sometimes the morning news just doesn't start your day off on the right foot.

You know what does start the day off on a good foot ? The memory of the date you went on last night with your husband that's what!

It was raining last night when we headed out from 30 Rock to grab a bite to eat and go see the re-released edition of Blade Runner The Final Cut. We headed down the village to find a laid back place to get some some comfort food and landed at Fiddlesticks, which is sort of an Irish pub type place. Stephen had bangers and mash, I had Sheppard's Pie and we both had a nice cold beer to go with it all. We sat discussing our day and plans for the not so distant future as the rain trickled down the window.



Couldn't resist a photo of Papaya Dog's presidential plea.



This is the first movie we have gone to see at the Ziegfeld theater. I had no idea it was so close to my office - 54th between 6th and 7th. It's an old fashioned theater and Stephen thinks that this is the theater that was the subject of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer tries to save the theater with Loyd Brawn ... anyone..? Anyone ...? Beuller... ?



This place is not only huge but beautiful, as most older theaters tend to be. The ticket taker bellowed good-naturedly "Step right up to see Blade Runner!! I wanna see some knee shakin' excitement folks.. you are here to see Blade Runner!!!!".. it was very carnival-esque. Up the tiny escalator we went with the throngs of film buffs and sci-fi nerds, complete with shaggy hair, beards and black rimmed glasses. The tiny knot of Peter Jackson look-a-likes in the center of the picture above are the early bird crowd. Like us they arrived way in advance to make sure they had a prime seat for the picture. By the time the movie actually started it was practically a full house - which is saying something considering the size of this place.

The film itself was epic. I have seen Blade Runner many times but never on the big screen and the extra footage that was added, along with the far less ambiguous ending made this one of our top ten date nights. It-was-incredible. If you live in NY or close by, and like this film in it's older versions (how can you not like it..? it's a classic!!) I highly recommend a trip to the Ziegfeld. I left the theater feeling transformed, as I often do after seeing these types of larger than life movies. Hurrah for Philip Dick and his imagination.



Finally.. I couldn't resist this shot either. This is a stall in the ladies room of the Ziegfeld. Umm.. yes.. there is actually a pedestal sink in each stall, complete with soap dispenser and paper town dispenser. You just don't see that everyday.

6 comments:

Ellen said...

Shots of the bathroom on a date? Somebody is in a good mood.

Adam said...

OK, now I don't feel so weird for taking photos of bathrooms where I go to. I think the one at the office in India had to be the most interesting.

MKD said...

You were in my neighborhood! We should have hung out. Awesome photo at the top of the post. I am sort of laughing at you for eating at Fiddlesticks, though...really. Come on.

SMS said...

We totally should have called! Next time I promise. Yeah I know.. Fiddlesticks was a very poor choice.. but it was raining and I had a very hungry/grumpy husband on my hands.. on the verge of forgoing our Blade Runner trip altogether.. I panicked and went for the cheap beer.

Anonymous said...

the hell is wrong with fiddle sticks?

jane. said...

* hey...did you get my email?