Thursday, November 15, 2012

Homes


More photo stalking from our hard drive. Found these images from Christmas 2010 here in Raleigh. That amazing Christmas that we had everyone here and it actually snowed. We also all got the stomach flu that year but I digress. Look how pretty these homes in our neighborhood are. I always saw myself living in an old Victorian home one day.  Then I married an artist/teacher. Ha! I kid. 



I will miss being able to take walks though this neighborhood. Particularly at night in the summer time. The girls are so big now we can't do the old after dark stroller adventures anymore anyway but that is ok. We have moved on to bigger and better things. Still I will miss this neighborhood and it's historic grandeur. Also I like to play a little game called "Wonder how much they pay to heat and cool that place?" when we pass on the humble sidewalk out front. 


My transition skills are not getting any better for anyone who is wondering. I really do suck at this. I have packed 2 boxes thus far and those are full of toys and were packed primarily to make it easier to clean up the living room on a daily basis. I don't feel guilty packing away certain toys because I know they will feel new again in 3 weeks when they are brought back out in the new house. 

I am weary but happily so tonight. Having finally ironed out another wrinkle in the buying process. We have granite chosen for our counter tops (a precious and super exciting surprise gift from Mom and Dad). We have paint colors chosen for each room (another precious and tremendous gift from Mom and Dad). We are starting with several new (to us) pieces of furniture that are actually period specific to the house and that makes my heart sing. Still every day is a battle lately. Take yesterday for instance. Stephen left for swim practice at 5:30am and Ada woke me at 5:38am. She wakes us every morning crying about her hair and how it is bothering her. I was able to settle her down (no easy feat.. can you imagine what it is like to start your day with a dear child fussing next to your head every morning over something that she won't let you fix? It is a hurdle.) and had her reading books while I showered and dressed.. was drying my hair when I head Margot's foot steps coming from her room to ours. Peaked out the door just in time to see her step on a pile of puppy poo and look up at me in horror. Oliver is feeling worse each day and has started pooping at random times in the house. I am not sure whom I felt more sorry for at the moment. Margot who was bleary eyed and shocked at what was happening. Oliver who was curled in a ball on our bed looking ashamed and shaking, or myself who was just reminding myself how productive it can be to wake up before 6am. I stopped and dealt with what needed to be dealt with. I regathered myself and began repeating the mantra my dad had told me the day before about how each day has enough trouble for itself. I didn't dare imagine what lay ahead. Just hold Margot tight and dry the confused tears as I bathed her soiled heels in warm soapy water. Next we were out of oatmeal. No matter since I wasn't that hungry anyway. Then Frankie woke up and refused to eat her breakfast in the high chair. Choosing instead to spill her Cheerios across the floor, carpet, table, couch at least 5 times before we left for school. The girls cried about their shoes. They cried about their coats. I kept my spirits up and prayed it would help theirs as we drove to school singing Shoo Fly and talking about what we were thankful for that we could see out our windows. Then I went grocery shopping at Aldi and remembered why I used to love that store so much. Spent half what I would have normally spent somewhere else. Then I came home and the house drama started. It wasn't that big of a deal but there was something we two parties needed to come to an agreement on and we just hadn't found the right scenario yet. Took the rest of the morning to find it. Then time to get the girls. Then home and so worn out my body was aching. By that point in the day I want so badly to be able to accomplish things while the girls rest but I am bone tired and can do nothing but sit and spin my wheels about where to start .. or lay on the couch and doze to the sounds of Curious George. Some days I just have to laugh. I laugh at how overwrought I get over the tiniest wrinkles. I know this is because my life is currently very wrinkly. I laugh at how I can prepare delightfully homecooked meals one week and then tonight I was so drained from the day that they got peanut butter and jelly and I just stared off into space. I laugh because I turn on the news and always wish I hadn't. Tonight I am not laughing. I am giggling. Giggling at the thought of what new wonders await me in the morning. Giggling because my husband will never EVER stay awake long enough to watch Boardwalk Empire with me. Giggling because this Christmas we will have our own door to decorate. Some things are worth feeling scattered for.

No comments: