Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Messing with Perfection

The last few weeks have seen a marked improvement in the napping around this house. By marked improvement I mean to say that it has been completely predictable, scheduled and organized. The girls have slept like a dream, right when I wanted them too. They have been well rested and happy and playful as a result. Why then, you might ask, would I want to mess with the system I have going? Two words - The Holidays. Yes, the holiday season is upon us and that means we are all looking forward to loads of good food, good visits and a general all around good time to be had by all. On the flip side, we are heading into uncharted napping/sleeping territory in unfamiliar beds and rooms with unfamiliar smells, sights and sounds. Thus I have thrown my perfected napping system out the window in order to retrain them to expect the unexpected. This means that in the next couple of weeks, Ada has to learn to nap in a crib instead of the swing, they both have to learn to nap through the other's cries and the white noise maker on the swing in their room is out of commission. I started this new training yesterday, yes I know this was a little late but seriously folks... I had to get some things done last week! So I just went with what worked until I could get my house/self/life put back together. My normal routine is to put Ada in the swing and then rock Margot until she get's drowsy, then put Margot in the crib where she settles into her napping posture , turn on the white noise and that's that. They are both out like a light for the full nap time. What bliss this has been. Bliss that was not present in this house yesterday morning. 

I decided to hold one child while the other finished their tummy time so I started with Margot while Ada attempted to roll over on her blanket. Margot got sleepy as she usually does and I put her down with her blankie and binkie. Then I held Ada for a few minutes until she was sleepy and put her down with the same equipment. That lasted about 5 minutes. Ada just doesn't sleep as well in the morning as she does in the afternoon.. this is the reason I started using the swing with her in the first place - desperation. Crying ensued and I made my trips back and forth comforting and replacing binkies. Soon they were both going at the top of their lungs. I sat on the couch reminding myself of why I was doing this to myself. Ada finally cried herself to sleep about 5 minutes before she was supposed to be up for her next feeding. Margot went the whole time in tears. Fabulous. Exhausted I got both girls up and fought their flailing limbs and red faced screams to change diapers and we all sat down for a nice long feeding. They were super cranky afterwards ..hmmm.. wonder why that could be. I used the same routine when I put them down at one and this time I only had to go in once for Ada. They were both so exhausted that I even let them sleep an extra 30 minutes. So what have we learned? Ada still doesn't like to nap in the morning and if they have poor morning naps they will most likely make up for it in the afternoon. I may decide that Ada gets to stay up when Margot goes down in the morning. I think I may try to get her to go down but if she won't them I may not push the issue too hard. When she is ready to nap in the morning I guess she will do so. She has a different sleep cycle than Margot anyway. She doesn't need as much it seems. I say that but when I go in to replace the paci and rub her tummy she calms down and her heavy eyes close. Anyway.. it was much better in the afternoon. This morning it is better than yesterday morning and I hope this trend continues. I would be having them nap in their new travel cribs  but they are already set up at Mom and Dad's house awaiting our arrival this evening. We are spending Thanksgiving there and this will be the first time the girls have spent the night away from home so... crossing our fingers. We are praying this all goes pretty well. If they don't really have it down by the time we come back home, I will be having them sleep in these quite a bit until we head to Florida for Christmas. That's right, we are driving to Florida with 4 month old twins to spend Christmas with Grammy Mary and Grandpa Larry. As much as I am looking forward to spend all that time with everyone and getting to see everyone.. I .. am .. a little.. terrified. I mean.. I still haven't figured out how to get there! Meaning, when to leave for the drive.. should we drive all night ? Leave after their last feeding and just go through until morning? That seems nutso.. but so does trying to find a place to stop and nurse twins! Can't just do it in the car.. it will be packed to the brim.. and if I do stop to nurse them both.. where will we change diapers? Car again.. packed to the brim. McDonald's ? One of those Koala Care stations? I nurse while Stephen run's babies in and out changing diapers? That could take at least an hour.. what a circus :) I figure if I can at least get them super comfortable sleeping/napping in their new cribs that will take some of the stress out of the whole endeavor right? And no, bottles wouldn't help, just trust me on that one. We will figure it out but we are still figuring :) Ok.. gotta go start getting things ready for this trip tonight.. wish me luck!

PS.. the girls are both sleeping..in cribs.. no white noise.. with 80s music playing outside their door... things may be looking up :) 

1 comment:

Christa said...

Hey- I always travel with our little white noise machine. Sam still uses it to sleep. It is small enough that it flies in the suit case. We got it at BabiesRUs. Don't know if that will help you or not. And yes, as crazy as it sounds.....driving at night isn't a bad idea. We used to always drive at night to the beach (7hours). That is until Maddie got older and wouldn't sleep as well in the car. Or, could you leave at 1 and let them sleep their afternoon nap in the car, then stop and feed? That would get you guys leaving a little earlier in the day. Whatever you decide, it will be fine. I remember how scared/nervous I was to go to NC for the first time with Maddie. You just have to go with the flow.