Monday, April 07, 2008

Too hot to handle..



Drum roll please... super healthy... right on target for their gestational age... identical ..... GIRLS. Stephen is thrilled and doing back flips. I must admit, I cried when the nurse gave us the news. I was sure at least one, if not both, were boys ... I feel more comfortable with boys.... I grew up with a brother, not a sister. Frankly.. I'm a little scared of girls!! Still, after getting over the initial shock, I am growing use to the idea and getting more and more excited. Of course the most important thing is that they are healthy, so thank the Lord for that. We are both enjoying referring to them as "the girls" or "the ladies". Stephen calls me/us "his girls". For some reason, the fact that they are both girls made Stephen feel sure he wanted to try for more kids later on. We were both sort of on the fence but I have always wanted at least three so I am glad he is no longer afraid to try for more - given the outcome of our first attempt ;) Word to the wise - these girls will not be sporting pastel pinks until they are able to choose for themselves.. so... take it easy on the pink frilly stuff folks. No matching outfits either. I want these cherubs to have the best chance they can at individuality. More to come on that in the future :)

In other news... STEPHEN GO THE JOB AT THE SCHOOL IN RALEIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We found out today after our other exciting news about "Susan and Sharon" (btw -these are not their names guys.. but a reference to my favorite twins growing up from Disney's "The Parent Trap")!!! They were "very impressed" and it was a "unanimous decision". My man blew them away with his rugged good looks and mad artist skills. What a rock star!!! We were so psyched all afternoon calling people to share both sets of good news and answering the phone to hear congratulatory greetings. It was like finding out we were pregnant (for the first time) and winning the lottery on the same day. I am headed down to Raleigh on Tuesday (thanks to the very generous Larry) to hunt for an apartment with Ellen - who is already helping me scope out viable options that I find on Craigslist. It's going to be a whirlwind for the next two weeks but.. we are so excited to finally know what direction to head in!! 

Thank you every one for your well wishes and prayers over the last weeks and months. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah! Congratulations, twice over! What a big day for your little family... God is sure taking care of you. Enjoy basking in all the good news, and good luck staying away from pale pink :)

Terri

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sarah (and Steven and Susan and Sharon)! I'm really happy that things are working out so well for your soon to be doubled family! Though I am a little sad that you will no longer be in the office when I start working there this fall. Good luck to you all!

Summer said...

Great news, all of it! In the past, I've felt similarly intimidated by the prospect of possibly having a baby girl (not sure why though?). Anyway, maybe this is just my own wacked-out logic, but I think there are fewer parents suited to successfully raise girls, so I always notice when certain people I encounter seem particularly impressive on that front, seem like parents who SHOULD have girls. My best friend Moriah is one such person; she's so down-to-Earth and kind, the perfect person to guide & teach a little girl within the context of this crazy world. Anyway, from what I know about you and Stephen, I really think you guys are one of 'those' couples with the exceptional potential of doing exceptionally well by your daughters. I guess what I'm saying is that, by my own entirely unprovable strain of logic, it would almost be a shame if you DIDN'T get girls because you seem like such a balanced, well-rounded, with-it, down-to-Earth kind of person--the perfect kind to raise intelligent, ambitious, virtuous daughters.

Anyway! Good luck with getting all your moving plans arranged! I'm glad things are falling into place for you.

Nicole Poko said...

YES! YES! This is so wonderful. I also have to admit that I just assumed you'd have boys. I don't know why. Make sure Stephen gets a big congrats from us, we were really happy to read your blog last night... too tired to comment.

PLEASE let me buy the girls at least a few adorable frilly pink non-matching outfits(trust me, they're mostly all pink).

kateoelschlager@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kateoelschlager@gmail.com said...

oops meant to write WAhoo!!Amazing!!God is so Good!!~We love ya'll!!~ love,katie o

mindy said...

Congradulations !! I am so very happy for you two. The good news is so wonderful. God is so good. I can't wait to meet my little neices. Side note... Corrie has best friends that are identical twins.. Britney and Brandy. They truely have a special bond and are best friends yet sisters. And Corrie is just as close to one as the other. I am very proud of Stephen on the job front! Way to GO!!!! Love you two! Mindy

mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sarah, Great gramma knows girls. First, I love being a girl-just ask my red-hatters. Second I had 4 gorgeous daughters. And 3rd your grandpa Bill almost knocked the doctor down to hold Mary when she was just born. Bill was the happiest father in the world with his girls and I know Stephen will be too. You are already a very smart mother to realize that look-likes are just that but complete individuals too. NC here you come and farewell to big city NY. So excited about Stephen's new job. God is your guide. Love you 4.

Michelle D said...

I'm SO happy for you guys! Amen!!!

Tracy said...

Can't wait for you guys to get further south so your favorite aunt can head up that way!! I'm so glad you aren't into the whole "matching" thing, i totally agree for you to let them develope their own personalities and likeness! I PROMISE it will shine through, given the chance. Love you guys, will call so for a long "twin" chat. Aunt Tracy