Monday, January 04, 2010

She's back!



My how we missed our buddy Josie around here! The girls were so excited to see her this morning they could hardly wait to get down from their cribs and start showing her their new loot from Christmas.



I turned around for a second to get something for lunch out of the fridge and when I turned back .. each of them had climbed onto something different. To each her own.

I had leftovers for lunch today. I have fallen in love with this new recipe for Cuban Black Beans and Rice. It is SO delish I fixed it two nights in a row .. Stephen asked for it. I think I could eat it every day. Maybe I will put the recipe up on here.. right now I don't feel like walking to the kitchen to get it. Am I the only one who likes to do things over and over? Like.. listening to certain songs on repeat.. or watching certain movies repeatedly.. or eating the same food every day.. it seems to comfort me. Have we spoken about this before.. seems like we have. What about you readers out there.. do you ever find yourself finding comfort from something repeated? What do you think it means? Really, I am curious....

7 comments:

bethany said...

I'm super happy to listen to the same song or two over and over for hours. It drives Thomas crazy. No idea what it means, except that I'm probably really predictable.

Anonymous said...

I am the queen of doing things the same over and over and over. I have taught the same grade now for 30 years. Love going to my lesson plans and doing the same things over and over. Love kindergarteners, because 5 year olds, developmentally love doing things over and over. I have eaten the same breakfast now for 10 years I think, had my spark at the same time of day for years now. Boring, probably, but I am quite comfortable with it!! I admit that the people I enjoy having in my life as friends are opposite from me. Right Debora. (She can't do the same thing 3 days in a row to save her life!) I think it is just the way we are Sarah. I love that we have this thing in common!
Mary

kateoelschlager@gmail.com said...

People of habit for sure:)i listened to the Taylor Swift song over and over one time travelling in the car with the boys...and after 3-4x Mason was like "Mom are you ok? this song keeps playing and you just keep singing.":)...maybe it was my singing:)
i love you sista:)

O will you post your recipe?
i would love to try it!

kateoelschlager@gmail.com said...

p.s. mason just walked over and saw the picture of the girls and josie and asked if Aunt Mary had another baby:)...then he wanted to know how the girls know how to babysit:)...ahhh he makes me laugh:)

Stephen Shingler said...

I think we all we all lean on repetition for comfort...just at different levels. I think my mom hit on something when she said 5 year old's are really into repetition on a developmental level. Maybe after five we really don't "learn" anything else developmentally and we are purpetually repeating and finding new ways to love or hate something. Everything in culture repeats itself anyway right. I never thought that I would see the day that flannel shirts come back in style...I actually went to the mall yesterday and caught myself nostalgically looking through them...and I actually thought they were cool and found myself wishing I had more Nirvana albums. If I had more time I would read more books repeatedly. Enders Game is up there for another go around as well as the Dark Tower series. And I could listen to the Hank Williams song "Log Train" a million times. I don't know man I'm thinking we are all still 5 and trying to learn.

Grampa said...

Every 2-yrs, I start the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in the dead of winter. I read it purposefully and always complete the series with the arrival of spring. I always discover something new or interesting and somehow; it adds to the texture of my life. I love how in repetition the story remains the same, but my enjoyment and application deepens with every reading.

SMS said...

Lovin' your answers everyone! I feel like I am in good company :) Love you guys!