Monday, July 30, 2007

Lights Out

Stephen and I rode home in the dark tonight. When our train pulled into West 4th and I saw that the car was dark, my first thought was that the power was out in there and that it was going to feel like a dark furnace of body heat. One of those "Aren't you glad you use Dial?" moments. We poked our heads in anyway when the doors opened and it was pleasantly cool, the lights being the only thing out of order. It was sort of late already, but though the train was full there were seats for most and we gratefully sat down by the door. I have not ridden in a completely dark subway car before. It was like being in some rickety roller-coaster hurtling towards an unknown dip or loop. The lights on the walls of the tunnels flashed in, illuminating the faces of our fellow passengers. Everyone was quiet. At one point, after we had crossed the bridge and were on Brooklyn soil, the train came to a stand-still waiting for it's turn to enter the station. We sat for at least 5 minutes. After the first 2 minutes passed, people began taking out various electronic devices (cell phones, iPods, Blackberries) and soon the car was filled with the wan glow of so many LCD screens. I guess most people don't like sitting in the dark. I thought it was exhilarating. But then again, I felt pretty safe sitting there next to Stephen.

In other news, two NYPD detectives showed up Sunday night to check on us. They were following up on our burglary !!! They came to see if our landlord had paid restitution and find out if we wanted to press charges. Of course we did not want to press charges, and we were shocked that the detectives took the time to come out to our little place to tie up the loose ends of our tiny little theft. Gave me a little more faith in those cops that do so love to run red lights.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, trying to send you a comment but haven't figured out how to do it. Elsie

Anonymous said...

Sarah, maybe I have figured it out. Here goes.

Talked to your sweet husband several weeks ago about your unanimous decision to stay in NY. I will not see as much of you but certainly understand. You may come see me for a get-a-way and that will be super.
Being a widow is a different challenge but Bill always said I sure liked challenges. I really think my visit to NY was the beginning. Last week I used the old wheelchair and went with Laurie and family to the ballpark and watched the Devil Rays go 0-0 against Boston for 7 innings. Then the Rays took off and with 3 consecutive homeruns pulled out a win 5-2.
NY has had some bad unexpected events lately. I hope you did not lose your power due to the sudden tornado and massive rain diluge. You had a little example of subway in the dark. Scary, for sure. Just hot down here-not a lot of rain.
Mary was here to celebrate Laurie's 40th B-day and Mary and I on the spur of the moment went to see Judy. It was great as Judy was getting discouraged with all the set=backs on their addition. We cheered her up. Disappointments are part of life and discouragement is a choice.
I enjoy your blog now that I have it on bookmark. I had trouble spelling your blog name.
Love to you both. Memaw Elsie

SMS said...

Hi Elsie!!!
So glad you were able to post. We miss you so much too!!! Always up for a get-a-way to your house :)
Sounds like you are having a pretty exciting summer.
We survived the bad weather pretty well though our trains were knocked out for awhile so we were both late to work. Amazing how much your rely on those trains up here. It was ok though since most of the city was late that morning - my bosses gave us a free hour if we made it in at all :)
Miss you loads, thanks for all your words of encouragement. Love you very much and hope to see you soon!
Love,
Sarah