Saturday, February 02, 2008

Sacrifice



We came home to the scene above on Wednesday. Oliver has developed a bad habit of eating toilet paper while we are gone during the day. To remedy his addiction, we have to remove the role before we leave in the morning. Wednesday he was apparently so desperate for a fix that he left a sacrificed favorite toy (formerly known as "Giant Squid" now affectionately known only as "Tentacles") in plea for the return of the tissue.

While we are on the subject of sacrifice, I will let you in on what my being pregnant has been like lately. As it turns out, I have a rare condition (1/300 pregnancies) called Hyperemesis Gravidarum - which essentially means "excessive vomiting in pregnant women". What it means for me is that once I start throwing up, I can't stop. It reached it's peak last week. I was out of work for 3 days, two of those days throwing up on the hour and the third, every 15 minutes. I have never spent so much time on my knees in the bathroom! I finally called my doctor (who was on vacation and actually called me back - from vacation! = jewel) and she called in a prescription for Zofran, warning me that if it didn't work I would have to be admitted to the hospital. Thankfully it worked!! There were many, many people praying for me too so I must give credit where it's due.

This week has been much, much better - I was only out one day. The medicine seems to be working and I am pretty much eating whatever I can stomach. I take it when I feel the sickness coming on and in seconds I feel better. Please keep me in your prayers everyone, and thank you to those who have already been praying for me. I am trying to take the medicine as seldom as possible (it is safe to take during pregnancy of course). I suppose this is my first lesson in the sacrifices of motherhood. Coming soon - my disappearing waistline.

No comments: