Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The nursery..



..is ready! Well, almost. We are still waiting for the bookshelf, FLOR, and the quilts (made with love by grandma Mary) to arrive but beyond that we are ready. We have diapers stocked up, all the clothes and blankets washed, cribs made up, black and white mobiles put together and mounted, art hung.... I will post a more complete picture once we have the missing pieces but I thought this would at least give everyone an idea of where the girls will be spending their first days. 

We are pretty much ready as well. Stephen has a good start on his lesson plans for the year, the apartment has settled into a comfortable routine, I feel like I might burst at any moment. Frankly it still doesn't seem real. We try to talk about being parents and we end up laughing and agreeing that we still don't feel like people expecting babies. The girls like to press their feet and arms out through my belly and when we press back at them they respond with more little presses and pushes. When Stephen says goodbye to them in the morning before heading off to work on his bike, they kick at his cheek in response. Already we feel like we are developing a relationship with these little creatures that have been growing inside me. Still, it doesn't feel real. I keep a movie or pod-cast going at all times when Stephen is away at work. I can't handle the silence in the house. I don't know whether it's the city noise I miss or the voices in my head that I am trying to drown out. Will I be able to breast feed twins??? Will they be comforted by my voice?? How bad will the C-Section really be?? How long will it take me to get my tummy back?? Will I ever get it back!? How will I manage at home alone with two infants?? Will Oliver behave himself ? Will we make it on Stephen's salary?  I find my mind going numb quite  frequently right now. Numb and quiet. I feel peaceful despite all the unanswered questions. Maybe it's all that pod-casting. The reality is that I really won't understand what it means to be a parent until they get here.. I feel like we have to be in the middle of it before any of this will start to make sense. The other things will just work themselves out. The Lord has taken care of every step thus far and I know He will continue to do so. Still.. I will keep my distractions going for good measure. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Mama to be Sarah,
You have made such a beautful place for your little girls to snuggle into after leaving their 8th months of residence with you. Have no fear about being parents. You and Stephen have wanted a family and you won't know everything at once but you will know how to care for those little girls. Motherhood is a gift from God as is fathering.
More later. Elsie

Anonymous said...

Hi again. Laurie just came in to pick up a red velvet bench that her Dad made me years ago. I wanted her to see the girls' room. She too said it was lovely. She and John got a new mattress and spring and it is so high that John couldn't sit on it and put on his shoes. I am so happy Mary can be with you awhile. She is a very wise woman and will help you to calm your anxieties. By the way they are all pretty normal. Remember Bill's mom had 2 sets of twins and lived to be 87. Happy Birthday to Oliver. We celebrated by seeing the Ray's play yesterday in St. Pete. They lost but are still ahead of Boston by 4 games.
I am so glad your Dad is home. Love to you both. Memaw Elsie

Anonymous said...

I reread that last sentence. I love you and Stephen-both of you. I am am very glad your Dad is home and doing better too. Elsie

Anonymous said...

I reread that last sentence. I love you and Stephen-both of you. I am am very glad your Dad is home and doing better too. Elsie

Anonymous said...

I reread that last sentence. I love you and Stephen-both of you. I am am very glad your Dad is home and doing better too. Elsie